Horizontal spear trap

How to get the animals without actively hunting
Bram van Munster
Site Admin

Horizontal spear trap

Post by Bram van Munster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Horizontal spear trap

This is a lethal trap, never leave this one unattended unless you absolutely have no other choice!!!

The horizontal spear trap is not for the novice trapper, it requires a lot of work and preperation.
However, the rewards can be huge if you are able to catch bigger animals like boar or deer.

You'll need to set up the 4 sticks very deeply in the ground, so it can withstand the force of the swinging arm, the impact and the force it takes when sitting idle. Alternatively, you can use two standing trees that are very close together and tie the arm to them.

In this picture, only one spike is attached to the arm, but you can use more if you prefer that.
For every spike you'll need to cut notches in either the spike or the arm so they fit together snugly. My advice is to cut the arm.

As trigger, you see a standing pole and a horizontal one. On the end of that one is a small notch in which your catch-stick rests. The toggle is tied to the rope, goes around the horizontal stick.
When an animal touches the wire, the toggle pushes the catch-stick free and all force of the swinging arm is released.

Practice, but respect the local laws!!!

Bram van Munster
Site Admin

Re: Horizontal spear trap

Post by Bram van Munster » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:22 am

I found a great video on this. You have to be logged in to Facebook, but still, great watch...

https://www.facebook.com/ShawnWithTheWi ... 575250689/

Bram van Munster
Site Admin

Re: Horizontal spear trap

Post by Bram van Munster » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:00 pm

OK here's my story, no iron traps, just made with things I can get from nature.

I usually eat what I catch, but except one occasion.
The local forestry department allows me to practice bushcraft in their forest, which includes practicing traps.

Soooo, well, I practice! I do have to mark the area very well, so I can't hurt anyone. I put up flags in a 30 yard zone, 20 yard zone, and 10 yard zone.

The foresters know this flag, but they're curious. When I was practicing this horizontal spear trap which is meant for wild boar, a forester decided to come and have a look... The trap was still active, as I wanted to know how long this one would retain tension with oak.

Apparently, not that long, when you catch a forester... Good Lord the foul noises that came out of that man!!!!! 3 spikes in his upper leg, and he left the trail due to the impact, by about 5 feet... While he was swearing, I notified him of the perimeter, so he was wrong, but while approaching him to free him and apply first aid, somehow he didn't trust me At All...

Not sure why... lol... (still allowed to practice there though, his bad, not mine!!!! )