Tool safety - Basics

You'll have more fun in the woods when you're healthy
Bram van Munster
Site Admin

Tool safety - Basics

Post by Bram van Munster » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:27 pm

Outdoors people, craftsmen, farmers and more types of people are usually experts when it comes to using tools properly.

However, they all had to learn at one point in their lives. Every single one of them has one thing in common: they were taught about safety FIRST.

For the more experienced people: Yes, I will be talking about things you take for granted, things that seem so easy to you, but prevent new folk to get in motion. Feel free to kick in and add more (experience) info.

Here we go...

In the image, you see some of my tools, which came out of my previous BOB. We're looking at various knives, a hatchet and a saw. Each one of them has a function or several functions, and all of them have different instructions on how to use them safely. It is important to know this, simply because you don't want to get hurt while playing, practicing or when SHTF for real.

Every tool with a cutting edge needs to be as sharp as possible, or it will be useless very quickly. This also goes when you don't use the tools. When you spent hours and hours getting a knife properly sharp and put it away for a year, it will be so blunt you can compare it to a hammer instead of a knife. This is because the molecules of the material slowly stabilize over time and no longer do your bidding when they get enough time.

All of my knies have different sizes and grinds because they have different tasks. I like it that way. Your preferences may differ! Truth is, my tools are working tools. The largest knife is part defense and part machete. Then there's a skinner, craft, backup and folder knife. All incredibly sharp and good enough to use as a razor. Yours should be equally sharp!

ALWAYS cut things away from you. Keep the sharp end AWAY so you can't cut yourself. That can be a lethal disastrous mistake in the wild! When you're trying to do some subtle cutting while having the wood on your lap, use extra protection. Keep your blood inside of your body where it belongs!

Folding knives often have a locking mechanism or spring in them to prevent accidentally opening. That means they can also close on you unexpectedly. NEVER take that risk, keep your fingers away from the edges!!! The folding saw in the image will cut dep in your hand when closed carelessly...

When working with a hatchet, keep your bloodcircle in mind! This is the area around you where you can accidentally hurt someone else. Be mindful of your surroundings! If you can't hit a log without the risk of amputating your own leg, sit on your knees and work from there! You will never look stupid when you are working safely!

As said earlier, your tools need to be sharp. The guy in the video tested his ax on his own hand, and went right through. (Warning, blood in video, + 1st aid method). He was lucky enough to have that woman there or it would be a proper mess! https://youtu.be/x4oW35D1z60

NEVER take a risk with sharp objects!

Also: use the proper tool for the job. Don't cleave a log with a normal ax instead of a splitting maul. That's asking for trouble as seen in this video (also blood warning) https://youtu.be/mebOtucfiuY

There is a lot more to say about safety, but this post is long enough as it is. I will split up the rest into various posts if you like...

Stay safe out there folks...

Any Questions?