The extension of the EDC

What you may need to get home in 72 hours
Bram van Munster
Site Admin

The extension of the EDC

Post by Bram van Munster » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:23 am

We all have some basic survival items with us which we can safely call the EDC (Every Day Carry), but sometimes that is not enough.
People all over the globe have extras in their car and some have all that stuffed in a bag, called the GHB (Get Home Bag, not the drug).

The Get Home Bag is primarily used to make it back home when something weird happens, the car breaks down, road blockages, what ever can happen and you still want to get home. As a basic survival rule, this should be done in just 72 hours, unless you can replenish your energy with food and water.

Most of the GHB's I've seen have Pemmican in them, a survival food that won't go bad for many years, with a high energy content.
Digesting food takes water, and you'll probably sweat when moving around, so water is essential.
Storing normal tapwater in a bottle is heavy, will grow bacteria eventually and can't be used after a month, so the next most often found is a waterfilter, purifying tablets, chlorine or a pot to boil water in, which brings us to the 3rd most found item: a way to make fire. Now a lot of bushcrafters and survivalists carry a firesteel on their body 24/7, but having backups is never a bad idea, the advice is to have or know at least 5 ways to make a fire in any condition.

So that is food and water sorted, what else?
An ax, so you can get the wood you need to stay warm during the night, a tarp to hide under, and extra paracord. Don't fall for that classic "paracord shoelace" thing! Don't believe me? Remove your shoelaces and go shopping on foot, and you'll figure out real quick what I mean. Those things have purpose!

In countries / areas where it is permitted, people also often have a gun, fishing rod or bow in their GHB to get fresh meat while they're on their way, but as it is only 72 hours we're talking about, I won't go into that topic too deep.

A sharpening stone or whetstone is also one of those items you could carry on your person, but why would you do that, put it in the bag where you can always get to it easily.

Aside from making a fire, a fleece blanket is helping you to keep warm during the night, especially when you're in colder areas. Some people put a so-called emergency blanket in their bag as well, weighs almost nothing and insulates very well!

Most of us are knife enthusiasts, and a spare knife pretty much has a permanent home in the GHB of most preppers.

First Aid Kits are very important to keep in the GHB, you're not using it because you simply ran out of gas, but because something happened which forced you to start using your knowledge and following your survival instinct. Don't just carry it because I said you should, but make sure you know what to do with it. Follow a course if you have to, as it can save your life. Most first aid kits also have iodine in them, which can be used to get rid of germs and bacteria in water. One drop per liter (quart) and leave it for an hour so the iodine can do its job is the basic rule here, same goes for chlorine, although you won't find chlorine in your first aid kit.

A map of the area is VERY important. It can help you to find the quickest way to get home, but don't use just any map, it has to be plasticized to avoid moist or rain ruining it. To find north so you can point yourself in the correct direction: use a magnetic compass.

That should get you home, to safety and loved ones! For longer trips: check the rest of the forum!